Saturday, July 16, 2011

Adriatic to the Aegean

7/15

I’m still not used to returning to class after a few days in port. It probably doesn’t help that I pack a week’s worth of activity into those few days, but I was hoping that it wouldn’t be too much of a shock coming back to class this time. It was much easier; I actually remembered where we were in the class, which is good since I have a midterm tomorrow. I’m pretty sure that this is the only time in my life where I’ll have midterms before I get to Barcelona, Greece, and Turkey and finals after leaving Morocco.

We’re leaving the Adriatic and entering the Aegean soon to on our way from Dubrovnik to Piraeus/Athens. Today the internet and server on board are down, which means that I can’t check my email so that’s a little frustrating. Also, tonight we loose another hour. This hasn’t happened in awhile…but I remember it throwing me off a lot when it did so I’m planning on going to bed super early so I’m not exhausted all day tomorrow.

I just happened to stumble into a classroom where a girl on board was teaching a belly dancing class, so that was quite a pleasant surprise. I heard Arabic music and was like could it be? And it was! So I joined her email list to find out when future classes are since it will be fun to keep dancing a little on the trip. There is a talent show on board on the way back from Morocco, so that’s a possibility.


7/16

The internet and server are back now, so I could check my email, which is always nice.  Tomorrow we arrive in Piraeus, the closest port to Athens! I am so excited, but I’m going to go to sleep as early as I can so I can try to get rid of my cough that has been hanging on since before Italy. I think the entire ship is sick now though…and the medical center (which is only open for 2 hours each day) had been keeping very busy.

I am so excited for Greek food, I have literally been having dreams about it.  It's silly but I'm really craving Sal's (our chef in the Tridelt house) Mexican food, banana chocolate chip bread and egg rolls while I’m on the ship. The food on the ship comes nowhere close to as delicious or varied as his...although we do have bread rolls and cheese cubes every day, which I'm sad to say have become the staple of my shipboard diet. Of course, in port I and everyone else just go crazy eating all the delicious food in the new country. Italy was probably the biggest crowd pleaser…but I really loved the seafood in both Barcelona and Dubrovnik. I’m looking forward to some really yummy street gyros in Greece…so I hope I find a good spot.

Love from the Aegean,
Ginny

P.S. Every time I log onto this site in a new country, it comes up in the local language. So right now it's in Greek and last time in was in Croatian.

No comments:

Post a Comment